Medical emergency may be rare but challenging occurrence in the dental clinic.
Types of medical emergencies in dentistry
1. Sudden loss of consciousness (syncope)
2. Acute chest pain (angina)
3. Difficulty in breathing
4. Seizures / convulsions
5. Toxicity of local anaesthesia
6. Drug reactions ( anaphylaxis)
7. Excessive bleeding (haemorrhage)
8. Thyroid storm
There must be a quick medical response team with proper equipment readily all the time for challenging situations in regular dental practice.